PLATFORM OF THE SWEETWATER COUNTY DEMOCRATIC PARTY
ADOPTED IN APRIL 2022
Article 1 Section 1 of the Wyoming State Constitution states:
“All power is inherent in the people, and all free governments are founded on their authority, and instituted for their peace, safety and happiness; for the advancement of these ends they have at all times an inalienable and indefeasible right to alter, reform or abolish the government in such manner as they may think proper.” We concur, and the Sweetwater County Democratic Party supports the widest possible empowerment and engagement of citizens in the political process and to the integrity and responsiveness of government to the people.
THIS PLATFORM REFLECTS THE CORE VALUES OF THE SWEETWATER COUNTY DEMOCRATIC PARTY
WE BELIEVE IN FULLY FUNDED EDUCATION
● We call upon policy makers to fund education, fully and fairly, from early childhood through college and adult education.
● We believe the best education decisions are made at the local level.
● We believe in providing an education to prepare Wyoming students for a diverse and changing Wyoming job market now and in the future.
● We support the forgiveness of student debt.
WE BELIEVE IN DEMOCRACY
● We support the widest possible empowerment and engagement of residents in the political process and transparency, civility, and accountability in government at all levels to protect and preserve democracy and the democratic process.
●We support the separation of religious organizations and state governments.
● We support any measure that improves access to and participation in the political process and the ballot box
● We support a redistricting process that uses an independent commission to ensure that legislative districts are fair and equitable.
● We support that all sources of political funding should be fully disclosed by amount and source.
WE BELIEVE THAT ACCESSIBLE AND AFFORDABLE PHYSICAL AND MENTAL HEALTH CARE IS A RIGHT
● All health care, including mental health, from birth to the end of life, should be considered a right and not a privilege. Medicaid must be expanded by the state. Medicare must never be privatized to the benefit of insurance and pharmaceutical companies.
● Preventative care, including prenatal care, should be included in all health care programs.
● We support a well-funded, non-political, science-based approach to public health.
WE SUPPORT JUSTICE, SAFETY, EQUITY, AND EQUALITY IN THE WORKPLACE
● We support workers' rights, to organize and pursue collective bargaining for livable wages, insurance, and safety in the workplace.
● Government agencies in Wyoming should use Wyoming-based services, goods, and labor wherever possible. Our long-sought stability in the current and future workforce cannot be sacrificed in the name of outsourcing for increased profits
● Pensions should be provided and protected for employees.
● We support equality and equity in the workplace for all people regardless of their differences, including but not limited to, assigned sexes, genders, sexual orientations, gender identities, ages, races, ethnicities, disabilities, and religions.
● Workers should be paid before executives in the event of bankruptcy--or other financial hardship--or other company turmoil.
● We support national funding in response to emergencies, natural disasters, and impacts due to energy transitions.
● We support a state and national nondiscrimination statute.
WE SUPPORT ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT THROUGH DIVERSITY, RESPONSIBLE GROWTH, AND MAINTAINING OUR QUALITY OF LIFE
● We support economic diversification and state-level tax reforms to grow state revenue.
● We support an increase in the minimum wage.
● We support responsible growth while protecting the environment.
● We support Adequately funding infrastructure and communities.
● We support equity in the market for Wyoming resources.
● We support a just transition to renewable energy sources that prioritizes workers and their families.
● We believe access to cultural amenities enhances the quality of life for Wyoming’s citizens and contributes to economic development.
WE SUPPORT COMPREHENSIVE AND EFFECTIVE IMMIGRATION REFORM
● We support reasonable immigration policies that protect the health, safety, and well-being while promoting responsible border security
● We support providing an easier path to citizenship and protection for DACA recipients.
● We oppose the detention of undocumented immigrants, especially in institutions run by private contractors.
WE SUPPORT THE PRINCIPLE OF “PUBLIC LANDS IN PUBLIC HANDS”
● We recognize and respect the ancestral and contemporary stewardship of Wyoming lands by indigenous peoples and pledge to work alongside them in continuing that effort.
● Federally managed lands should not be transferred to the state. Wyoming should not be burdened with managing federally held public lands. We believe that public land ownership includes responsible land stewardship on the part of the public.
● We believe Wyoming’s public land heritage is one of our greatest assets. Public lands should remain public and available for ethical multiple use for current and future generations.
● Wilderness areas should be identified and preserved.
● We believe that landlocked Public Lands should be accessible to all.
● Any new lands acquired by the state should be managed for the long-term benefit of the people, economy, environment, and wildlife. Ethical multiple-use should be a priority.
● We support the use of public referendum in the disposition and swapping of state public lands.
WE SUPPORT CLEAN AIR, WATER, AND HEALTHY LANDSCAPES THAT ARE ESSENTIAL TO OUR QUALITY OF LIFE AND WELLBEING
● We support fair and even-handed enforcement of our state and federal environmental laws, to protect land, air, water, wildlife, and public health.
● Wildlife habitat, recreational use of the lands, and open spaces must be protected.
● We believe Wyoming must address climate change by beginning the transition to renewable energy resources. We believe that providing quality jobs and protecting our unique environment are not mutually exclusive goals.
● We believe that any development should be done responsibly with regard to our wildlife, their natural migration routes, and their critical habitat.
● Reclamation is a part of mining. Mining companies should be held responsible for the cost of reclamation. We support prohibiting the disposal of nuclear waste in the Green River Basin.
● We support the responsible use and protection of Wyoming’s water rights.
● We support keeping Green River Basin water in the Green River Basin. We oppose trans basin water diversion projects.
WE SUPPORT PROTECTING CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS AND LIBERTIES.
● We oppose any attempt to amend the constitutions of the United States and the State of Wyoming that would diminish the personal liberties guaranteed by the Bill of Rights, which include but are not limited to freedom of speech, religion, press, the right to bear arms and the freedom from unreasonable search and seizure.
● We recognize that with rights come responsibilities.
● Surveillance by the government of our private lives should be done only in the confines of constitutional law. We strongly disapprove of the use of torture in domestic or foreign affairs.
● We support laws against child abuse, exploitation, and family violence, and the enforcement of existing laws.
● We oppose corporate profiteering at the expense of incarcerated individuals.
WE SUPPORT EQUAL RIGHTS FOR ALL
● We support the equal treatment of all residents and oppose discrimination of any kind including the unfair treatment of all incarcerated persons under the guidelines of current State and Federal Laws.
● We oppose government and business interference in our private personal and digital lives.
● We support women's and birthing person’s reproductive rights and making options available and affordable.
● We support marriage equality.
● We support legislation recognizing and opposing hate crimes.
WE SUPPORT A STRONG SOCIAL SECURITY SYSTEM
● We strongly support strengthening the Social Security System. We oppose the elimination or privatization of the Social Security System.
THE SWEETWATER COUNTY DEMOCRATIC PARTY COMMENDS:
● Our brave servicemen and servicewomen past and present in their task of defending our nation.
● Our law enforcement officers, firefighters, healthcare personnel, educators, and other first responders in their task of serving and protecting our communities.
● Our public servants and government employees.
● Democrats in and out of office, whose achievements in public service have enhanced and protected our Democracy.
● Those fighting and advocating for democracy around the globe.
● The hard-working individuals that keep Sweetwater County’s economy moving, and those impacted by the transitions in our economy.